Jeep Safari in West Crete
This tour has been designed to touch a more remote Crete, little seen by visitors because of the terrain and off the beaten track’ routes. Our base is the Kissamos region, one of the least developed in terms of tourism that combines rugged, almost deserted land and rolling hills covered in olive trees with spectacular coastline that boasts some fine beaches, such as Falassarna on the west coast and the wonderful Balos Bay situated at the tip of the Gramvousa Peninsula, which we have the opportunity to reach with our 4 x 4 vehicles.
The combination of 4 x 4 jeeps and gentle walks gives you the opportunity to see an array of Crete’s wonderful, contrasting and often hidden scenery – verdant footpaths, high rugged mountains, dramatic wild gorges, stunning seascapes and timeless picturesque villages.
Our hosts for the week are Angela and Stelios Milonakis who look after all aspects of this tour including leading the walks, driving the jeeps and providing delicious Cretan cuisine in their local taverna.
You’ll love this tour if you like:
- Getting off the beaten track
- Greek cuisine
- Beautiful scenery
- Tradition & culture
- Walking – there are some gentle walks to help explore the beautiful interior of the island
Availability: 17 May & 20 September 2016
- 7 days Bed & Breakfast at local hotel in Kissamos
- 4 evening meals in local seaside taverna
- 1 evening meal in Chania
- 5 lunches
- 3 jeep safari days
- 2 guided walks
- transfers to and from Chania Airport
PRICESReserve your place!
Please contact us for a price or book with our partner
- DAY ONE - Arrival. Welcome meeting. Dinner at Cellar Taverna
- DAY TWO: Beautiful Balos Jeep Safari
- DAY THREE: Magnificent Mountains Jeep Safari
- DAY FOUR: Artemis Jeep Safari
- DAY FIVE: Day off
- DAY SIX: Deliana: gentle gorge walk
- DAY SEVEN: Sirikari: dramatic gorge walk
- DAY EIGHT: Transfer to airport for departure
- DAY ONE: Welcome meeting. Dinner at Cellar Taverna situated right on the seafront in the bay of Kissamos. It is a well established family run taverna of 20 years with an excellent reputation with both tourists and locals. It is featured in such guide books as Lonely Planet and Rough guide to Crete as well as other foreign guide books. Over the years it has also been feautured in various magazine articles. It is well rated on Trip Advisor.
- DAY TWO: Beautiful Balos Jeep Safari. More than just a trip to Balos beach we begin with a visit to Polyrinia – a charming sleepy traditional Cretan village that was once the fortified stronghold of the region. After an informed tour we head off to travel up the Gramvoussa peninsular with its stunning views over the Bay of Kissamos. There is plenty of time to explore and relax at the fantastic lagoon of Balos and a delicious picnic lunch is included in the day. Dinner at Cellar Tavarna in the evening.
- DAY THREE: Magnificent Mountains Jeep Safari. Our jeeps climb to over 1,100 metres in the mountains for fantastic views to the South, West and North coast. Gain insight into rural Cretan life, culture and customs as we visit a typical village house. If luck is on our side we will see the magnificent protected birds of prey. Enjoy a delicious taverna lunch and swim on the south coast near Paleochora. Dinner at Cellar Taverna in the evening.
- DAY FOUR: Artemis Jeep Safari. Unravel local history and legends from ancient Greece through to the 2nd world war and up to the present day. Swim in the crystal clear waters off a secluded rocky bay, explore the wilderness of the Rodopou peninsular, visit a beautiful monastery and enjoy a delicious Cretan lunch. Dinner in Chania old Town this evening.
- DAY FIVE: Day off. No lunch or dinner included. Available excursions: tours & walks
- DAY SIX: Gentle Gorge Walk ( 6 km approx.) A gorge as beautiful as Samaria but without the crowds and distance! The gorge is home to a large colony of Griffon vultures, magnificent and huge birds of prey which you are sure to see on this gentle walk. Our INFORMATIVE GUIDE will lead the way through tranquil scenery showing you two beautiful old churches one with 13th century frescoes. A delicious Cretan meal follows at an excellent village taverna. Dinner at the Cellar taverna.
- DAY SEVEN: Dramatic Gorge Walk (6 km approx.) Another beautiful gorge walk that is pretty and peaceful, ending up in the village of Polyrinnia where we take lunch at the local cafenion owned by Odysseus himself! Stunning scenery and home to many nesting Griffon vultures. Farewell dinner at Cellar Taverna.
- DAY EIGHT: Transfer to airport for departure.
By sending this e-mail you will receive a full description of the tour and booking details