Balos beach & Gramvousa Island
Enjoy a fantastic trip to one of Cretes’ most stunningly beautiful beaches. The blue lagoon of Balos is truly amazing – warm waters, crystal clear aquamarine sea and soft pale sand. This combined with a visit to the ruined Venetian castle on the island of Gramvousa all make for an unforgettable day in an exotic location. Natural beauty and history are combined in a relaxing day out for all the family to enjoy. Operating daily from May till October, a visit to Balos lagoon on the wild and beautiful Gramvousa peninsular is a must do whilst in Crete.
There are few different ways to visit Balos
Either by booking one of our jeep safaris BOOK A JEEP SAFARI
Or by taking one of the various boats trips on offer.
3 boat trips are now on offer!
You can choose one of the following options:
1. Cretan Daily Cruises
- Daily (weather dependent)
- Meal & drinks not included
- Visit our office opposite archaeological museum
- Choose between 3 itineraries 10:20 Balos - Gramvousa 10:40 Gramvousa - Balos 12:30 Balos - Gramvousa
PRICESReserve your seat!
BOOK A TRANSFER
KISSAMOS PORT TO GRAMVOUSA ISLAND
- Approx 10.30 the boat departs from the port of Kisamos staying close to the coastline so you can observe the land elevation of approx 7 metres that occurred during a huge earthquake 2,000 years ago.
- Approx 11.30 you arrive at the island of Gramvousa where you can walk up to the Venetian castle situated 137m above sea level (optional walk. Sensible shoes are recommended). The views from here are truly amazing. The island is also an important habitat for over 100 bird species and endemic plant species. There is also time for a swim at the beach of Gramvousa.
GRAMVOUSA TO BALOS
- The boat then departs for the lagoon of Balos which takes approx 15 mins. Here you have plenty of time to walk, swim and just languish in the crystal clear warm sea.
- Throughout the day the boat serves drinks, food and ice creams. It is well equipped with inside and outside seating areas, bathrooms, fresh water shower and an inflatable slide that is fun to zoom down into the deep ocean when the boat is docked (weather conditions allowing).
AT THE BEACH
- There are some sunbeds at the beach , although limited so as not to spoil the natural beauty of the area, but umbrellas can be rented from the boat for use at the beach.
BALOS TO KISSAMOS
- The boat departs at approx 16.30 and after about 1 hour arrives back to port in Kisamos.
WHY GO WITH CRETAN DAILY CRUISES
- It's the best daily cruise in West Crete
- Air conditioned seating areas
- Food and drinks available
- 3 Itineraries daily
2. Petalida Boat Cruise
- Daily (weather dependent)
- Meal not included
- Reserve your tickets in our office.
- June to end of August Dept 13.00 with return of 19.00 September to end October dept 12.00 with return of 18.00
- This cruise departs daily from the port of Falassarna (weather permitting) and is on a smaller boat with a capacity of 50 passengers.
- You will visit both the lagoon of Balos and island of Gramvousa. On the beach of Balos, there is a small canteen selling sandwiches, ice creams, drinks etc.
- Pick up/ drop off: 11:00 pick up from your hotel. Return at about 20:00. (Transfer from/to Kissamos for 5 euros extra)
- Falassarna port to Balos (stay there 3 to 4 hours)
- Balos to Gramvousa (stay there 1 hour)
- Gramvousa to Falassarna (takes about 45min depending on the weather)
WHY GO WITH PETALIDA BOAT
- Relaxing trip on a smaller boat so less people
- Complimentary snacks on board
- Free transfer
- Friendly atmosphere
3. SEMI PRIVATE OR PRIVATE BOAT TRIP
- Bookings on request
- A unique day cruise tailored to your wishes. We collaborate with many local captains and each of them offer different boats and options for the duration of the tour and the price. Departing either from the harbour of Kissamos or Falasarna at an agreed time the captain will take you to the lagoon of Balos and the island of Gramvousa where there is a castle and a small beach with clear turquoise waters. Options are private and semi-private. During the cruise all boats offer refreshments and snacks.
- Meal optional for an extra price.
- Options: Sailing boat or speed boat
- Flexible, on agreement with the captain
- Meet the captain at the port
- Get on board & enjoy the cruise
GO FOR A SEMI PRIVATE OR PRIVATE BOAT CRUISE IF
- You enjoy sailing or motor boats
- You need some privacy
- You want to avoid large boats with many tourists
- You want to explore the west coasts
- Venetian Castle in Gramvousa Island
- Best boat cruise in West Crete
- Stunning views
By sending this e-mail you will receive a full description of the tour and booking details