Join us on a gastronomic tour of the Kissamos Region
Throughout the week Stelios’ love of his island and its food, wine and culture is evident as he passes on his skills and passion in a relaxed, informative and entertaining fashion. Being a restaurateur himself he will ensure that all the food tasted is locally sourced and of the highest quality with an excellent variety of dishes that you will have the opportunity to try. This unique and personal tour is not just for ‘foodies’ but for anyone with a love for all things Greek.
You’ll love this tour if you like:
- Fresh, locally produced and prepared food
- Experiencing authentic local culture
- Wine tasting, chesse-tasting, olive oil
- Beautiful scenery and traditional villages
- Local guides – Stelios is incredibly passionate about his island and its food, wine and culture
- Availability: Spring and Autumn period
- 7 days Bed & Breakfast at local hotel in Kissamos
- 4 evening meals in local seaside taverna
- 5 taverna lunches
- 2 hands-on cookery lessons
- 4 guided tours including Chania
- transfers to and from Chania Airport
PRICESReserve your place!
Please contact us for a price.
- DAY ONE - Arrival. Welcome meeting. Dinner at Cellar Taverna.
- DAY TWO – Cookery lesson at Cellar taverna in the morning.
- DAY THREE – Village Life tour (Stelios' Village).
- DAY FOUR – Visit a wine producer as well as cheese and local sweet producers.
- DAY FIVE –Chania town- Venetian harbour
- DAY SIX –free day.
- DAY SEVEN – Botanical park set in beautiful countryside.
- DAY EIGHT -Departure.
- DAY ONE - Welcome meeting. Dinner at Cellar Taverna situated right on the seafront in the bay of Kissamos. It is a well established family run taverna of 20 years with an excellent reputation with both tourists and locals. It is featured in such guide books as Lonely Planet and Rough guide to Crete as well as other foreign guide books. Over the years it has also been feautured in various magazine articles. It is well rated on Trip Advisor.
- DAY TWO – Cookery lesson at Cellar taverna in the morning. Hands on preparation of traditional Cretan dishes such as –Tzatziki – yoghurt, cucumber, garlic dip, Greek salad, dolmades and yemista – stuffed vine leaves and stuffed tomatoes. Stelios will oversee the cookery lessons with his taverna chefs. Lunch at Cellar taverna.Late afternoon free.Dinner at Cellar TavernaFor both lunch and dinner the clients will eat what they have prepared themselves. Highlights of this day – the opportunity to learn about Cretan food, prepare and cook it. The Cretans' diet is reputed to be one of the healthiest in Europe with its abundance of local high quality olive oil, fresh fruit and vegetables and use of horta (wild greens) as well as pulses and plentiful use of locally grown tomatoes as well as the habit of taking a glass of wine with a meal. Cretan food is actually a vegetarians dream although there will be meat and fish served up too throughout the week of course.
- DAY THREE – Visit to Stelios parents house and farm up in the mountains (Stelios parents house and farm up in the mountains (20 minute drive from the hotel) to learn about traditional Cretan life and how it is possible to be almost self sufficient up in the villages when you grow all your own produce and keep livestock. There will be wine tasting from Stelios own barrels of wine and an insight into all the family produces such as herbs, Greek spoon sweets, walnuts, olive oil, wine, raki (strong Cretan spirit) cheese, honey, lemonade, snails! Clients will get to sample some of these things and be offered complimentary homemade lemonade and snacks. Lunch at a local taverna up in the hillsides. Late afternoon free. Dinner at Cellar taverna – tonights dinner is a Greek meze that involves lots of different foods to try rather than a starter, main plate and dessert. Highlights of this day – the unique opportunity to visit a local house and not just something that is laid on for tourists. A lively, informative and interesting tour and talk from Stelios on Cretan life and traditions, family and of course food and wine! Clients will experience legendary Cretan hospitality at its best. The setting of the hamlet is pictureresque and the scenery truly stunning.
- DAY FOUR – Informative morning visits to a wine producer with wine tasting, followed by cheese and local sweet producers. Here clients will learn more about the cultivation and production of wine, raki and cheese which all play such a big part in Cretan life, its culture and economy. All three places are within the same area so easily accessible. Lunch will be in a nearby taverna in a picturesque village (Deliana) that also houses a beautiful 13th century church which we will have the opportunity to visit. Late afternoon free. No dinner included tonight. Highlights of this day- Stelios knows everyone! Which always makes for interesting visits and lots of local information that other tour guides are not able to provide. The lunch of slow roasted goat at Deliana is a firm favourite, the village itself is delightful and the church very interesting and unique.
- DAY FIVE –a morning visit to the beautiful Venetian harbour town of Chania (35km away). We will walk through the charming streets and alleyways of the old town to reach Chanias famous indoor market that sells all local produce. Lunch will be taken at one of the traditional little tavernas in the market itself and the afternoon is free for clients to explore the rest of Chania at their leisure for shopping, sightseeing and relaxing at the harbour front in a cafe. You can either make your own way back on the local bus to Kissamos (having been advised by Angela) or get a transfer back with us. The fare is 5 Euro one way and the bus journey is an hour along the coastal road, interesting in itself. There is no dinner tonight. Highlights of this day – Chania is the loveliest city in Crete and so not to be missed. It is full of hustle and bustle and local character and has the most beautiful Venetian harbour to explore. The market is fascinating and the shops very varied with the traditional mixing in with modern, arty and touristy. To be able to eat lunch in one of the market tavernas is something that most tourists do not think of doing (they head down to the harbour) and is a real treat.
- DAY SIX –free day. No lunch or dinner included. Available excursions: tours & walks
- DAY SEVEN – Morning visit to a botanical park set in beautiful countryside. Here you have the opportunity to learn more about the local plants, herbs, fruit and vegetables as you take a walk around the park (approx. 1 to 1.5 hour walk). Lunch on the veranda at the Botanical Park. On the way back we visit the oldest olive tree in Crete and the small olive oil museum there. Late afternoon free. Farewell dinner at Cellar Taverna. Highlights of this day – Again, wonderful scenery and excellent local information with a wide variety of all the plants and produce that grow on Crete.
- DAY EIGHT -Transfer to airport for departure.
By sending this e-mail you will receive a full description of the tour and booking details